Sleep is just as important for weight loss and strength gains as proper diet and exercise.
Due to my schedule I have to get up at 0430 to get my daily workout in, so to get that 7 hour minimum I have to be asleep by 2130(9:30pm)
But why is it so important to get 7 hours?
• According to the Annals of internal medicine. When you get 7 hours half of the weight loss from sleep is from fat. Those that didn’t get enough sleep had half the weight loss, were significantly hungrier and less satisfied by their meals!
• University of Chicago scientists found that lack of sleep lowered insulin sensitivity by more than 30%
• The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism found that sleeping less than 6 hours triggers an increase in your need for food, depresses leptin and stimulates ghrelin. Making it almost impossible to lose weight!
• Sleep is when your body produces the most growth hormone. You want muscle gains? Hit the pillow, not just the weights!
• Poor causes production of the stress hormone cortisol, which slows down the production of growth hormone.
Now, I think I need a nap.